> So, I gave Solaris 10 (11/06) a shot.  Solaris barfed all over me; like
> a girlfriend you love but who just can't get it together, it wouldn't
> get past the initial display probe and gave me an unintelligible (read
> bank) GUI screen.  So it was a text based install, which I don't mind,
> as with FreeBSD, it was like the good old days! So I fired up the games
> PacMan and Tetris on a crappy Windows 3.1 box and drank a New York
> Seltzer (Root Beer, of course) and watched "Back to the Future" -which
> also seems oddly antiquated these days (go figure), while it
> installed.  Then however, I began experiencing other issues with
> Solaris on this notebook, that were not trivial, so I tossed Solaris,

I would recommend trying the experiment again using one of the
distributions based on OpenSolaris.

        http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

Although Solaris 10 has made changes integrated into it that help with
laptop use (GRUB and a new ACPI implementation for two), far more
changes have integrated into OpenSolaris.  Sun's own Solaris Express
Developer Edition is a reasonable choice if compatibility with earlier
releases is important (the Community Edition tracks the innovation more
closely but also will tend to be less stable than the Developer
Edition).

dsc