On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 13:34 -0700, John Martinez wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:14 PM, MC wrote:
>
> > On games, I'm not sure everyone knows this, so I'll point it out.
> > Games are a "killer app" for PCs, and they have been for years.
> > (They make people buy computers.)  There is a lot of money in this
> > stuff, but it takes a lot of money to get right.
> >
> > Microsoft hasn't been steering the PC gaming ship as well as it
> > could be, so there is room for improvement there.  "Games for
> > Windows" is a new move of theirs to bring more standardization
> into
> > PC gaming.  Standardization is gooood.
> >
> > Game consoles are just extra computers for the home, but they are
> > very successful because of the standardization they bring.  In
> > theory they make it easier to develop games and harder to pirate
> > games.  The standardization results in a better experience for the
> > gamer and the game developer and the hardware developer.  The
> gamer
> > gets better games, the game developer saves time and money, and
> the
> > hardware developer makes more money.  In theory, anyway!  The
> > downside is that the gamer has just paid more money.
>
> I thought I read somewhere (can't find the source) that the market
> for PC games is shrinking and the market for console games is
> growing
> (Wii/PS3/Xbox 360). The only exception being MMORPGs like WoW.
>
> The state of gaming is sad on the second largest desktop, Mac OS X,
> so I would suspect that Linux and Solaris would fall way down the
> list.
>
> But I do agree with you, games would definitely attract a different
> crowd than Solaris is used to, in a positive way.

Apart from a few noisy, cpu over clocking, gpu tweaking, windows
registry hacking, caffeine addicted gamers - most people don't actually
care about games.

I can assure most people here, when it comes to migration, the questions
I get asked from people have to do with whether they can get their
favourite applications on the new operating system - not whether they
can 'get their game on' (what ever the hell that means).

Matthew