On 8/2/07, Lu, Baolu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I decide to intall the opensolaris onto a classmate PC, which has the
>
> memory size of 256M and 2G NAND flash storage space.  The aim is
>
> to have the system run some kind of desktop system, like Gnome, and
>
> a browser, like firefox.
>
> I have installed the core system which occupied about 500-600M space.
>
> Next, I'd like to install the gnome desktop system. I want to try 2
> ways:
>
> 1. Use the open source software from blastwave.org.
>
> 2. Try to install the gnome related packages from the installation DVD.
>
> Has anybody any suggestion? For 2, I don't know which packages should
>
> be installed and will that break the disk size limit?

You can try Belenix on it. It has all of the browsing+chat+etc and
comes with KDE and xfce. the latter would be better for 256m RAM. It
could possible be installed on the flash disk as a LiveUSB, but that
might take some hacking. that would take up only 700mb. Or it could be
installed as a hard disk install and that would take around 1.6-1.7
gb.

pkg-get is on the latest version so you can use blastwave to get software.

There is work underway to allow saving back of data to the USB, you
might have to wait for a month or so.

Anil