Alan DuBoff wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Bart Smaalders wrote:
>
>> The likely outcome is that the change is file based, with file
>> equivalence determined by a file-type specific comparison/hash.
>> This allows us to handle cases where the file is alway different,
>> but semantically the same.  Jar archives are a typical example here.
>
> You know, I was thinking about this after I sent the message, and
> *think* that snapshots would use the checksums under the covers, so it
> might be possible to incorporate snapshots to do a very similar thing as
> at the block level.
>
> I was curious as I was talking last week with Olaf Manczak, and he had
> been tossing around the idea of using the checksums to accomplish a
> similar thing.
>
> So, in the above scenario with Jar files, are you saying that they have
> more than one file with the same name that would get installed depending
> on the system? If so, is that done for optimization?
>
> --
>
> Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group

two jars that have the same content may have been created at
different times; from a functionality standpoint they are the same
but they have an internal timestamp that is different.

-

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts