UNIX admin wrote:
>> Have tried OpenSound?
>
> Yes, I have, and I have an extremely negative opinion of it.
>
> First, sound via OpenSound was a hit'n'miss - after some fiddling, the sound
> *might* start working. This made it unreliable and frustrating to use.
>
> Second, the software as delivered is a very, very nasty hack that violates
> just about every known System V standard and spec in existence.
>
> For instance, the drivers are started by an /etc/init.d/ script (!?!?!), back
> then when I tried the software, no package had been delivered, the binaries
> were written into /usr, and so on. Extremely unprofessional, inspite of the
> firm's claim that they've "done UNIX for a very long time". If they have,
> then they learned very little in that time period about UNIX, apart from
> programming audio hardware on it.
>
> It was a really bleak day for me when it was anounced that OpenSound will be
> integrated into OpenSolaris.

Why so much negativity?

There's an awesome team in Sun working on adding OSS and nicely integrating it
into OpenSolaris - making sure the files install into the right place, adding
SMF support, etc... OSS being open source gives the opportunity to provide the
best of both worlds - people who are experts in the field of sound, and those
that are experts in the field of operating systems.

Have some faith that good things will come out of it - I'm massively excited to
see what they can produce.

Glynn