[...]
> The one thing I'd ask about here is whether the
> project team is aware
> of the OSS integration project (that will likely be
> obsoleting the old
> SADA bits), and if this project conflicts with or is
> obsoleted by that
> one.  If so, then coordinating with them would be
> helpful.
[...]

What's the status of the OSS integration?  On SPARC, last I tried, it was
still not very useful (compatibility interface didn't work, simple Logitech USB
headset had
audible glitches (but was fine under Sun driver), SB Audigy NX USB didn't work,
no support for
builtin audio devices (audiocs in my case)).  Not to mention that until it is
the one true solution,
the uninstall leaves enough of a mess that backing up

devlink.tab     driver_classes  name_to_major
driver_aliases  minor_perm      path_to_inst

(and maybe others?) before installing is advisable, so as to be able to restore
them after uninstalling.