On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 00:34 +1200, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:

> The way I read it, I would still need to travel to hell and back with
> the laundry list of GNU stuff I would need to install along with heaps

I don't think thats really the case. Yes, there is some GNU stuff
missing but most of it is here (build 69). The only obvious GNU stuff
missing from a build point of view that I can see is the lack of auto* -
but in general these are only needed if you are building from a source
checkout and need to generate the configure script.

> of dependencies with broken Solaris build settings (Qt hard coded to use
> sun's CC instead of respecting environment variables).

Yes, thats one thing I've noticed. If Solaris is "supported" it assumes
Sun Studio and/or sparc. It can be frustrating - best thing to do is to
nag the upstream sources.

> > In general things aren't as bad as you are making out. In my experience
> > most things actually *do* compile out of the box on the latest builds of
> > Nevada with a little PATH magic.
>
> Probably the better thing is less path magic more correction of the defaults.

Indeed. Indiana :)

-Mark