On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 19:31 +0100, Alan Burlison wrote:
> Artem Kachitchkine wrote:
>
> > I think it's a bit too late, just go with the flow and leave -discuss
> > alone. Lobbies are always crowded and noisy, and those arriving in Hotel
> > Solaris need to feel welcome in order to want to say. Who cares what
> > version of Solaris they happened to try first, give them a chance to
> > figure stuff out. Gently directing questions to -help or another more
> > appropriate list should be preferred, but if someone decides to answer a
> > questions here and now, I don't see why not.
>
> I disagree, I suspect many people have unsubscribed because of the
> unacceptable S/N ratio, and as a result we no longer have any good way
> to reach those people.  Off-topic posts on *any* mailing list aren't a
> good idea, and just because we haven't been good housekeepers in the
> past it doesn't follow that we should continue.
>
> I for one will certainly departing shortly if the situation doesn't
> improve - the amount of time it takes me to wee out stuff that I care
> about from people's installation issues just can't be justified.

Departing opensolaris-discuss might not be such a bad idea. :-)  I'm not
on it now, and never have been.  Somehow I am still able to participate,
and don't feel like I've missed any really important info.  (But then
again, most of the important posts are cross-posted to lists I *am* on,
such as ogb-discuss or -code.)

        -- Garrett