Hello,

Stephen Lau wrote:
Can we use PGP signing with trusted keys?

I don't think those have proved to be legally enforceable.

My name is Alberto Ruiz, from the Sun Ray group, I'm working on the opensourcing of APOC (apoc.freedesktop.org) that is ought to be released on November.

I've just subscribed to the mailing list, so I'm quite late to the discussion, Phillip Russell has forwarded me the answers to the initial question that I sent to him.

My main worry about the issue is not the process itself, which is reasonable for commit access, but with small patches and contributions. If someone takes the time to write a patch and send it to us, I don't find how can we ask them to do even more work than they've done already. The Apache Foundation for example, follows this pattern, the contribution agreement is only needed for commit access, the GNOME Foundation does just the same.

It's really upsetting to do this kind of things after the whole effort of writting a patch, I think that some (most?) people would give up, and we would end up with lots of frozen patches on our bug tracking systems/mailing lists.

For big projects like OpenSolaris.org or OpenJDK, people might have motivation enough, but APOC is a small project, and chances to attract contributions are already hard, this kind of requirements would not only ending up with less contributions, but people ranting about us and spreading a bad image of the company.

The question that I've been unable to get answer for is, is it possible to apply the SCA only for people requesting commit access? Who can I ask to try to find a solution on this regard?

That's definitely a question for Legal, but it's likely the reply will
be the same that I received not so long ago (7/2/07) from Cliff Allen
(I've cced Cliff here)
when asking about electronic signatures:

<snip>
This might run afoul of the US Copyright law requiring a "signed
writing" which has been interpreted to mean a physical rather than an
electronic signature. Old fashion but that's the law for now.

  -Cliff
</snip>

begin:vcard
fn:Alberto Ruiz