On 8/16/07, Giles Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> First we get the new T2 being GPL'ed.
>
> Now it looks like we will have IBM servers preloading Solaris.
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news106499717.html
>
> Is Sun planning to leave the hardware market?

Jonathon Swartz said:

"Despite having what's arguably the single biggest competitive
advantage our systems business has ever had, we've separated out our
microelectronics business - and told them to win on the open market,
as well. We signed our first OEM agreement with Marvell, through which
we'll be collaborating to take our networking advancements to the
marketplace. More broadly, our microelectronics team is free to sell
to our competition. For the record, we'd be thrilled to supply, for
example, a Niagara blade to HP or IBM for their blade servers - as
well as to the larger market of networking, storage, automotive and
industrial applications. It's a commodity market, after all - vast,
growing, and in search of differentiation."

In a word, "No".

--
- Brian Gupta

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nycosug/