Phil Harman writes:
> On 6 Sep 2007, at 09:16, UNIX admin wrote:
> > It's not just cdrecord versus cdrw. You can clearly see the NIH
> > syndrome in packaging and Caiman projects too. Dave Miner did some
> > truly awesome work, but not once did anybody think to stop and
> > study how other UNIX companies successfully solved the same
> > problems Sun faced or faces now, years and years before Sun.
>
> Don't confuse conservatism and inertia with NIH. When Sun adopted
> SVR4 packaging, just about the only alternative was CPIO.

Also, don't assume that failing to adopt those not-invented-here
things means that either we're ignorant of them or that we didn't
bother giving them serious consideration.  Instead, I suggest asking
the people involved (hint: they're not all on this noisy mailing list)
whether they considered your favorite answer, and why it wasn't
selected.

> And maybe we don't always agree that the problem has been solved
> successfully by others. Anyway, where are all these incredibly
> successful UNIX companies of which you speak?

That'd be SGI, I guess.  ;-}