Hi Gavin,
Gavin Maltby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/23/07 20:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I would like to make a webrev for my changes to mdb.  I tried webrev,
>> but that complained.  Then I looked at the
>> documentation for webrev and then tried ws, but that also
>> complained.  Is there a way to do this with
>> source that I downloaded back in February?  Must I use svn?  Can I
>> simply post the changed file(s)
>> and let someone else generate the webrev?  Or should I just forget
>> webrev and post the changed file(s)?
>> Or do I really need to wade through all of the documentation (or lack
>> thereof)? Or...?
>
> webrev is the format most Sun ON folks are familiar with, so it's
> worth the effort.
>
> Assuming you have this under a Mercurial workspace I'd suggest
> pulling the SCM tools workspace from the project pages and using
> the webrev in that.  Or see if a SUNWonbld package built from
> that workspace is available.  With that installed and in your
> PATH webrev simply figures out that this is an hg workspace
> and just works if you have the workspace under wx control
> (also in that package).  If not then you will need
> to prepare a file listing modified files relative to
> the top of the workspace (ie all starting with usr/)
> and feed that into webrev as cat file | webrev -.
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/scm-migration/
>
> I think I remember seeing a link to a SUNWonbld package for
> download from those pages once.  If not then suggest to the
> project they add one!  The onnv-scm workspace is linked
> on the page above - pull it and then dmake instal
> in usr/src/tools

OK.  I have downloaded the latest source from Merurial.  I also
downloaded the SCM workspace.
Then I tried dmake install in usr/src/tools, but the dmake fails with
lots of complaints about mpy_compile
not found.  I tried using ws, simply running it in the onnv-gate
directory on my machine,
but it says workspace not found.  So I figured I would use the pathname
(/export/home/max/onnv-gate),
but this is not a workspace.  Then I tried wx with similar results.  So
then I tried webrev, but this
says it is Unable to determine SCM type currently in use.  One of the
commands referred to another command
called "workspace", but this is not on my machine.

At this rate, it will take me as long to get webrev to work as it took
to make the changes/additions I want
the webrev for.   By the way, I have never seen a good environment for
this.   Usually you have to sit
with someone who has done it before.  And when it changes, you have to
learn it all over again.  And no,
I do not have suggestions to make it easier, but a 1 page cookbook for
setting up a workspace
would be nice.   I just want a list of commands,
something like:

1. run blah to create a workspace
2. run foo to generate a fubar
3. run bar on fubar to generate crud
4. edit xxx and change your settings
5. run webrev

One other thing, the help message when you run wx with no arguments
refers to: See <http://onnv.eng/wx.html> for usage tips,
which is pretty much worthless if you do not work for Sun.

I am also sending this to the tools-discuss list.  Maybe someone there
has a 1 pager.  As it is, it looks like there
are probably several ways to do this, but you have to know the path to
take in advance...

thanks
max