Hello,

I think the question of "getting access to" OpenSolaris could be addressed by allowing (anyone interested in doing so) to make that decision by looking at a matrix with requirements (horizontally), and how various distro's satisfy those requirements (vertically).

Assuming each of the distros were using Nevada as the kernel (which is available through the OpenSolaris project, and which they do), then all distro's deserve to be referenced as OpenSolaris-based, even if such distro's come from Sun. Similar, in some ways, to the "Intel-inside" marketing of the mid-90's. Its based on OpenSolaris (as an adjective), but it could only be THE (noun) OpenSolaris distribution if it would clearly define the delta's/features that it has compared with: 1) other distro's and 2) how it fits into and benefits the overall OpenSolaris (adjective) project.
Perhaps overly simplified, but I often feel we need to keep things simple.

My $0.02.

Regards,
Isaac