> On Thu 11/15/07 at 23:12 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> The educational price is $1300-$1400 and the student
> price is $140.  It
> appears that the student edition isn't available for
> Solaris on either
> SPARC or x86, making BrandZ (*) the only option for
> the OpenSolaris user.
>
> Nils

If someone wanted it, then it would probaby be worth asking Wolfram Reserach if
they would licence a student version on x86 or SPARC.

My uni had a site license (any number of users, any platform). The license
allowed free use at home by staff for reseach/teaching. When I asked for a
SPARC license, that was originally declined with the comment "A Sun is not
considered a home computer". After I pointed out that Suns were affordable as
home computers, and that many people run them, I was given a SPARC license. It
was made clear it was a one-off/geusture of good-will/special ... or some
similar expression, but the fact it I got the license for use on SPARC.

I have it on good authority, from someone at Wolfram Research (UK), that all
new and recetnly renewed Mathematica licenses allow free use at home by
students - not just staff. IMHO, that is a real bonus. I don't know the
details, and once again I suspect it is officially only Mac/Windows/Linux, but
I would always ask.