[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >If absolute cursor positioning did work before, it is obvious that
> >nothing was missing.
>
> Considering that both less and vi left arbitrary trash on the screen,
> it can be argued that they were missing.
>

> >Whether to clear the screen or not is a personal decision.
>
> Well, if you restore the current cursor position, then you really have
> no choice but to also use the alternate screen buffer; if not, your cursor
> would appear in a random spot of the vi/less buffer.

I get the impression that you are talking about broken programs rather than
talking about a terminal data base.

I have my own termcap database for xterm in ~/.termcap since 1995 and my
editor "ved" "edits" in the alternate screen _and_ restores the screen
after editing.

I have no problems with this and if peope have problems with the current
behavior, there is most likely another bug.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)