Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Jürgen Keil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On some boards you can also change the configuration of the
> > s-ata controller to p-ata "legacy ide" (instead of ahci mode).  In
> > legacy mode, Solaris should be able to find both the (s-ata) disks
> > and the (s-ata) optical device.
>
> What is the disadvantage from the legacy mode?

- no cfgadm_sata support, so you can't disconnect/connect/configure/unconfigure
  s-ata devices while the kernel is up and running

- no native command queing

- no s-ata port multiplier support

- afaik: zfs is unable to read a s-ata hdd's SMART data, so things like
  automatic replacing a failing s-ata disk with a hotspare probably doesn't
  work
  (I guess that could be added to the ata driver)

- it seems some sata controllers support dma access to memory >= 4GB,
  so the kernel doesn't have to use bounce buffers.  The ata driver
  can only access 32-bit addresses via dma.