Hi,

I have three machines that all run opensolaris. My intention is to compile the
source of a kernel and to distribute the compilation over these machines to
save time.

As I understand it, in dmake you have a host (where you start the compilation)
and a number of build servers (where the compilation is distributed). My
concern is this: The host is somewhat different than the build servers
architecture-wise. Since I'm compiling kernel code I'm afraid that some parts
of the kernel code will look at the machine it is currently compiling on and
thus create a different result than if only the compilation would only be done
on a single machine (the host). Do you follow me?

All machines use the sunstudio compiler with onbld. However, the host uses b58
versions and the build servers uses b77. Can that be an issue when using dmake?
I hope that dmake is not that rigid that all build numbers must math in order
for it to work.

Here is the hardware info I got (using /usr/sbin/prtdiag and uname -a on each
machine):

machine #1 (host)

System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI
(UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz)
System clock frequency: 110 MHz
Memory size: 256 Megabytes

-bash-3.00$ uname -a
SunOS <removed name> 5.11 opensol-b58 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

machine #2 and #3 (build servers)

System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Netra T1 200 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500M
Hz)
System clock frequency: 100 MHz
Memory size: 1024 Megabytes

bash-3.2# uname -a
SunOS <removed name> 5.11 snv_77 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

Can anyone see if there might be a conflict  - or does the fact that both all
are detected as "sun4u" machines make this a non-issue?

Regards,
Mladen