Hi,

I'm a real novice when it comes to building kernels. Therefore, my question
might seem simple but the solution is not obvious to me.

I'm compiling the opensolaris kernel source and I'm wondering if there is a
documented mapping between the hardware I'm compiling on and the cpu-specific
files that are chosen during compilation. When listing the directories in
usr/src/uts I find the following catalogs among others:

sparc
sun
sun4
sun4u
sun4v

What is the difference between sparc, sun, sun4, sun4u, and sun4v? Is there a
document explaining this?

So, if the machine I'm compiling on is a ultrasparc-IIi, the question is what
directory or directories (sparc, sun, sun4, sun4u, or sun4v) are chosen for
that particular architecture. Furthermore, what architecture-dependent files
are chosen?

Regards,
Mladen