> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Josh Lange wrote:
>
> > On Dec 11, 2007 1:25 AM, Zhang, Frank F
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>  Does Solaris has similar Linux command "mount -o"
>  which can mount IMG
> > file with specified offset? Or if I can get an
> Utility to do this kind of
> >> job?
> >>

> > Are you talking about mapping an image file to a
> loop device, and mount it
> > "-o loop" ?
> >
> > I haven't tried the loop arguement to mount on
> solaris, but it's pretty easy
> > to manually mapping a file to a loop device, and
> then mounting the loop
> > device. Check out: lofiadm(1M)
> >
> > As for mounting the image with an offset, I'm not
> aware of how you are doing
> > this in linux, and generally this isn't needed for
> an iso image, but you may
> > consider using dd(1M) to cut the image into
> multiple files.
>
> On Solaris, it depends on the filesystem. FAT
> filesystems within images of
> PC-style partitioned disks can be mounted using the
> 'normal' PCFS syntax
> /dev/lofi/1:[c-z] but that functionality is limited
> to PCFS. It's not a
> generic "lofi thing".
>
> Although it should be - the request is not new, see:
>
>       http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=47650
> 9
>
> and what's associated with it.
>

> But then, there's always more than one way to do it
> ... and in case of
> what you can do right now, creating an iSCSI target
> where the backing
> store is your "partitioned image file", and then
> using the iSCSI initiator
> on the same machine to access it (as a sd-managed
> disk) should allow you
> to get the partitions. Sounds a bit like "poke around
> the back, through
> the ribs and up right into the eye", but hey ... :)
>
> Have you tried the iscsitadm / iscsiadm workaround ?
>
> FrankH.

BTW, if you are looking to extract "slices" of a boot CD ISO,
someone wrote a script for that (SPARC, anyway) some time back,
and I had written a C program (and IIRC posted it to Usenet - try
groups.google.com) to do the job too.  Once thus extracted, one
could use lofiadm on the resulting individual files.  IIRC, it doesn't
extract the "slice" at the start of the ISO, since one could get that
one by using lofiadm on the original ISO.

To save anyone the trouble of digging it up, see

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread/39f9de148ed0df23/6ad98d95e58bf59c?lnk=st&q=group%3Acomp.unix.solaris+iso+slices#6ad98d95e58bf59c

for a thread about some of this.