Hello People:

I'm experienced sysadmin with *BSD and HP-UX background, but completely
new to Solaris.  I've perused various docs and "propaganda" past couple
days and have a few q's related to install, best practices, hardware,
etc.  I can install Express Dev edition no problem so figured this was
better choice of lists.  Potential uses include both workstation and
server boxes.

1) Stability: it seems the Express Dev edition is probably good balance
between latest drivers, tweaks, etc. and stability for workstation
use?  Or will I have issues?  To be conservative should I be using
Solaris 10, or am safe with the Express Dev edition?  Need both my
workstations and servers to be rock solid (spoiled by FreeBSD, sans the
5.x fiasco).

2) Boot Disk: I see folks talking about ZFS Boot setups but wonder if
it's advisable, I mean assuming the latest upcoming release?  Or should
use volume manager to mirror?  With FBSD I can just software raid1 boot
disk via gmirror, which works out pretty nice.  I haven't had time to
read Solaris volume manager docs in any detail but assume comparable
functionality is present?  With FreeBSD I've evolved my +/- standard
workstation and server slice and partitioning schemes.  But ZFS changes
things.  Any recommendations?

3) Graphics cards:  I tend to prefer ATI cards and have RV370 based
card in the workstation I'm using now.  Haven't tried installing
OpenSolaris on this box yet, but hopefully will work?  I also have to
replace a card in another box, however, and noticed OpenSolaris
included nVidia tools.  Are nVidia the cards better supported, and if
so, any particular models?

4) Zones:  Slick feature.  Seem pretty analogous to FBSD jails?  Any
comments about how comparable in terms of security?

5) Docs are prolific.  Any particular books and/or websites you could
recommend that distill things down to essentials and/or a bit more
interesting read?

6) 3rd party apps; Is Blastwave the "unofficial official" repository?
Or some others I should become familiar with?

and likely few others that escape me just now... Feel pretty ignorant
asking newbie q's like this but from what I've seen thus far I'm
favorably impressed enough to suffer through newbie learning curve.

fwiw- I've been checking in on this project every now and again for the
past year and a half or so.  First time I tried Solaris for i386 years
ago (Solaris 8, 1/01) it wouldn't even install.  Now it's something
like a 3 clicks, recognizes all my hardware, and gives me a desktop
that pretty much jfw.  Nice job, folks :)

Best regards,

Ken