> A few weeks ago I decided to use Solaris as the basis of my home NAS. After
> learning about the benefits of ZFS I just couldn't let myself use anything
> else.

Hello MacBoy2000 : ( I saw that in your email )

    I have a fairly excellent build of Samba 3.0.28 if you want to do some
testing :

    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/samba_vista_001.jpeg

    I have tested it with :

        Windows Vista 64-bit Business Edition
        Windows XP Pro
        Solaris 10 Update 4 on AMD64
        Solaris 10 Update 4 on Intel Pentium III
        Solaris 8 2/02 on x86 ( yes really )
        Solaris 8 2/04 on UltraSparc II
        Solaris 8 2/04 on sun4m ( yes really )

In all cases things work as you would expect and throughput is as fast as I
can push it. More or less :

   copy from AMD64 based share to Sparc sun4m based share
   http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/samba_vista_002.jpeg

   run/play a video that was on the Sparc 20
   http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/samba_vista_003.jpeg

If a Sparc 20 can do this then anything can. I think I have the right level
of optimizations in place.

I'll get testing done on SXDE 1/08 today or tomorrow or this weekend. :-)

My objective was to get the packages out the door at Blastwave ASAP as well
as get things converted into IPS format for Project Indiana users. If you
would like to test also and maybe see how things go for you then let me know
and I'll give you a URL to the test pkgs. Please note that they are "testing
stage" packages and thus you have to setup the smb.conf file yourself and a
few other things.

Oh, also, it is built to coordinate with CUPs for printing but I don't have
that tested yet.

Dennis Clarke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]