> > Roberto has clearly stated in his own forum that
> the
> > dependencies can be satisfied with installation of
> > required Blastwave.org packages.  Please excuse me
> > for my ignorance, but wouldn't this dispose of the
> > need for "integration"?
>
> No.
>
> Blastwave is good for casual use, but not more than
> that. Their packages aren't System V compliant.
>
> So, to roll out a completely automated,
> zero-administration product, a whole complete stack
> of dependencies would first have to be compiled,
> packaged, integrated and tested; which would of
> course involve writing architecture and specification
> documents, just like they are done for stuff that
> goes into OpenSolaris.
>
> Then, the NX product himself would have to be
> compiled and linked against these dependencies,
> packaged, integrated with SMF, and rigorously tested;
> also an architecture, spec and the manual
> documentation would have to be written.
>
> Finally, any requried configuration that achieves
> zero-administration would have to be packaged and
> tested; also the aforementioned documentation would
> have to be delivered, reviewed, and signed off on.
>
> Then you'd have a fully integrated product. And I
> haven't even started a discussion on integrating into
> OpenSolaris, what I'm writing about is a private
> software stack.
>
> They also call the above described process "system
> engineering and release management".
>
> Otherwise, if it just works for one system at a time,
> and I can't deploy it to thousands of systems
> noninteractively, in parallel, it's nothing more than
> a casual hack effort.
>
> And like I stated previously, I can't spare the time
> for casual hack efforts. Either I produce a complete
> production-ready turn-key solution, or I have to put
> it off to the side.

Nobody's forcing you to pay attention to anything that isn't a
Fully Engineered Finished Product.

But one of the steps that might eventually bring something to that
illustrious status just might be having it convenient enough that
some people (even if not you!) look at it, think about it, and
decide whether they want to participate in the effort to carry it
forward.

Maybe _I_ ought to put it off to the side when it comes to replying
to full-time critics...