Actually, we do just that.

What we did:
1. backup your nsswitch.conf
2. configure ldap "ldapclient  ....."
3. restore your nsswitch.conf
4. configure nis (the ldapclient command erases this): "ypinit -c ...."
5. restore your nsswitch.conf
6. make sure svc:/network/ldap/client:default and
svc:/network/nis/client:default are enabled (svcs -a, svcadm)
7. edit your nsswitch.conf and specify the order you would like for these
services:

passwd:     files nis ldap
group:      files nis ldap

Josh