On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:33 PM, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Cyril Plisko writes:
>  > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Orvar Korvar
>  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > > How long uptime for Solaris and which version, have you heard of? Please
> be quite sure when you post, not something like "i heard a tale about a
> strangers cat whose neighbour had a solaris box in poland that had 5 years
> uptime".
>  > >
>  > >
>  >
>  > Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
>  > XXXXX:/export/home/imp> uptime
>  >   9:15am  up 1011 day(s),  8:26,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>  > XXXXX:/export/home/imp>  date
>  > Fri Mar 21 09:16:50 PST 2008
>  > XXXXX:/export/home/imp>
>  >
>  >
>  > That's the highest I have, personally.
>
>  There are more records here:
>

>   http://www.brendangregg.com/sunrecords.html#time1
>
>  But I'm a bit confused by the request.  Is long uptime always a good
>  thing?  It also means that you haven't taken the system down for
>  patching or regular maintenance and upgrade in years.  That seems to
>  me like a dubious accomplishment ... sort of like "longest time
>  between baths."

Not only that, is uptime really an indicator of operating system
reliability, or hardware reliability and system administration
policies?

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben