> Well, I can't say it looks the same :
>
> # ptime dd if=/root/test.rar of=/dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0 bs=8k count=6400
> 6400+0 records in
> 6400+0 records out
>
> real     1:38.689
> user        0.007
> sys         0.242
> # ptime dd if=/root/test.rar of=/dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0 bs=4k count=12800
> 12800+0 records in
> 12800+0 records out
>
> real     1:48.955
> user        0.013
> sys         0.293
> # ptime dd if=/root/test.rar of=/dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0 bs=2k count=25600
> 25600+0 records in
> 25600+0 records out
>
> real     2:10.504
> user        0.026
> sys         0.495
>

> Nothing unexpected, other than the SLOW timing...
> (this was under 32bit kernel on the same hardware
> than previously).

Yep, that is very slow for an usb 2.0 storage device.
In each case we get less than 500 kbytes/secs;
no surprise that writing through pcfs is slow, too.

Did you test reading from the raw usb disk device
using "dd", too?   That is a lot faster, correct?

Did you test bigger write block sizes than 8K?
What happens when you write 32K or 64K blocks to the flash device?

What is reported by "iostat -xnzc 5" while you write to
the raw usb flash device using once of the above "dd" command?
 Is the system 100% idle?  Or does the kernel consume a
significant amount of system cpu time?