> 5. I respect to the above, is it possible (on x86/x64
> systems) to change the default build from 32bit to
> 64bit? Is there a pure 64bit version in the pipeline,
> (that can run 32bit code when needed, similar to how
> FreeBSD does it for x64 based systems).

That is how Solaris works, and how he has always worked... Solaris can run 32-
and 64-bit binaries simultaneously, provided that the hardware is 64-bit
capable.

What doesn't work:

- ld can't link 32- and 64-bit objects
- a kernel can run either 32- or 64-bit drivers, but not both.

Apart from these two limitations, both 32- and 64-bit binaries can run without
modification, simultaneously.

The default build (for installation) will be 32-bit for a very long time, to
enable installation on the widest variety of hardware. I do not believe this
will change any time soon, and if it does, it will have serious repricussions
for the i86pc platform support.