On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 04:54 -0700, Mike DeMarco wrote:
> VirtualBox uses a script named vnic_setup.sh to configure a crossbow
> interface.

I'm a bit confused.  Crossbow is a project under development.  Are you
referring to a hacked VirtualBox that was made to work with Crossbow, or
is there actually support for Crossbow VNICs in official VirtualBox
releases?

> This script uses the dladm to detect the active system NIC and configures a
> virtual nic using
> crossbows VNA.
> The scripts relied on the old format of dladm show-dev:
> dladm show-dev
> iwk0            link: down      speed:     0Mb  duplex: unknown
> rge0            link: up        speed:   100Mb  duplex: full

That output format is documented to be _not_ parseable.  There is a "-p"
option to dladm which is meant to provide a stable and parseable output
format.  Unfortunately, that format will soon change as its not as
parseable as we'd like it to be, but nevertheless, the snippet you have
above is for the human readable output format.

> The new format creates a header line instead which confuses the  command
> phys_nic=`/usr/sbin/dladm show-dev |  /usr/bin/awk 'NF==7 && $3=="up" { print
> $1 }'`
> into reporting LINK as the valid interface, I present this here.

That awk script was doomed to fail.  If you can relay the version of
VirtualBox you're using and where you obtained it (and that script),
I'll try and contact the developers to discuss this issue with them.

-Seb