> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Sean Sprague
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ché,
> >
> >> As for "business hours" - please define the os.org
> business hours, with a worldwide community that is
> 24/7
> >>

> > os.org? I am sure that it is in Dennis's long-term
> plans to take over
> > os.org; but for the moment it is just genunix.org
> (well not "just", of
> > course...) ;-)
>
> My attempts to register os.org back in 2004 were
> thwarted by a
> registration process that claims all 2 letter domains
> are restricted
> and all one letter domains are reserved by the
> highest levels of the
> internet. When I point out HP.com they tell me ..
> well .. that is a
> billion dollar corporation.  When I point out X.org
> they say "well,
> that is just very very old."
>
> Me : So can I register OS.org to an open source
> project ?
>
> Them : No.
>
> [ I stare at my phone ]
> Me : Well why is that ?
>
> Them : just 'cause.  That's why.
>
> Essentially there are no rules.  Just money in a
> crooked process.

Well...speculative registering of domain names sucks (although you
have to figure that anything scarce will in some sense or another have
a price, which isn't necessarily crooked; a kinder word might be
enterpreneurial).
But some googling found me a more detailed explanation that seems not to
have so much to do with that, save perhaps to avoid it for those names it
reserves:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-letter_second-level_domains
which also referenced the external link
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/unsponsored/registry-agmt-appk-26apr01.htm