Robert William Fuller wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi Kyle,
> >
> > given that what happens looks ever-so-slightly different each time, a
> > hardware glitch could be possible; to exclude this, would you happen to
> > know whether these panics occurred before build 78 as well ? If they occur
> > if you use the b77 hsfs module on your post-b78 system ? Does the machine
> > you're using have a history of hardware issues, or other symptoms that'd
> > point at flaky hardware (such as e.g. ZFS block checksumming errors) ?
>
> Did anybody else notice they're all NULL pointer de-references???  It's
> probably not a hardware problem....  For example, if it's a memory
> problem, then you'll often see random pointers, but not 3 NULL pointers
> in a row....

Yep, I noticed that, too.

IIRC a bug like ``kmem_free(NULL, size)'' somewhere in the kernel can have the
effect that a subsequent ``kmem_alloc(size, KM_SLEEP)'' somewhere else in the
kernel will return with a NULL pointer!  (Assuming you run release bits)

For that reason I did suggest to Kyle to try to reproduce this hsfs mount
panic with kmem heap checking enabled.

Add the following line to /etc/system, reboot, retry to reproduce the hsfs
mount panic:

   set kmem_flags=0xf