On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, takafumi ashiba wrote:

> Hi FrankH,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I would like to use filesync to backup from local disk(UFS) to file server.
> The size of local disk is 3TB. so, I plan to backup incrementaly everyday.
> I think to use ufsdump & ufsrestore. but ufsdump can't backup until level 9.
> And if I delete a file which backuped yesterday, but a file can't delete on
> file server.
> So file server's disk is increased forever.
>
> By the way, If rsync is implemeted in solaris,  I wants to use that.

Then please do so, because it's there, actively maintained, and does, for
all your description, seem to do what you want.

filesync is for "small syncs" - no more than e.g. a project work
directory, a single user's home directory (or better: documents folder).
It never was meant to be a whole-server-backup mechanism.

FrankH.

> Because the performance of filesync is slow.
> I think this problem is caused by small block size.
> #define       COPY_BSIZE      8192    /* block size for file copies   */

The code is ancient, no functional updates since about 1997. Behaviour on
current systems could therefore best be characterized by "showing symptoms
of bit rot".

FrankH.