Kristian Rink wrote:
> Folks;
>
> cutting things short, I'd like to move my OpenSolaris installation on my
> hard drive without being required to reinstall. Given zfs is a great
> thing, I still hope for the best here. Here's the setup:
>
> - two primary partitions (sda1, sda2) holding a Linux installation
> (multiple logical drives inside sda2).
>
> - one primary partition (end of drive, sda3) holds OpenSolaris.
>
> What I would like to do is dedicate sda1 and sda2 to OpenSolaris (be
> that one or two partitions), and free the last (sda3) as an empty
> testbed / playground space. I haved a slight clue how to do something
> like this using Linux LVM, but can it also be done using zfs? Pointers,
> anyone? :)

Theoretically, yes, but since OpenSolaris can't use multiple fdisk
partitions on the same disk, your options are fairly limited.
Basically, you'll need to snapshot the installation, use zfs send to
copy it off somewhere else, rework your partitions (keeping in mind that
you can only have one Solaris-type fdisk partition), then use zpool to
create a new pool and zfs receive to restore the snapshots into the new
pool.

Really, re-installing is likely to be a lot less trouble and take a lot
less time, especially if you just snapshot and save off just the user
data to restore after installation.

Dave