> Hi all,
>
> Anybody know where to get packages for some common
> scientific programs such as:
>
> R + packages
> python + packages... numpy, scipy, pylab
> fftw
> some sort of tex distribution + packages
> octave
>
> I had my first exposure to Solaris as an undergrad
> working in a computational biology lab. I know it's
> in pretty wide use academically. It would be nice if
> scientific packages were available. Right now I'm
> trying to use pkgsrc, but I think having a formal
> scientific repository is a nicer solution. So I guess
> this post is part question and part suggestion.

I've built R and octave on SPARC, and I'm pretty sure I've built octave on x86
too, but perhaps I am mistaken.

There is expected to be a port of Sage

http://www.sagemath.org/
soon, but it does not compile yet. That package is quite unique in that it
includes lots of other packages, such as octave, R etc in it. I've got R in
sage to build - again possibly only on SPARC. I've just checked, and these bits
have built ok in Sage, so I doubt you would have too much trouble getting the
sources of the respective packages to build. (Not all are scientific, but some
are)

atlas-3.8.1.p3
blas-20070724
bzip2-1.0.4
conway_polynomials-0.2
cython-0.9.8
dir-0.1
eclib-20080310.p5
elliptic_curves-0.1
extcode-3.1.alpha0
f2c-20070816.p0
flint-1.0.13
fortran-20071120.p5
freetype-2.3.5.p0
gd-2.0.33.p5
gdmodule-0.56.p4
givaro-3.2.12rc0
gmp-4.2.2.p1.fake
gnutls-2.2.1.p1
graphs-20070722
gsl-1.10.p1
iml-1.0.1.p11
ipython-0.8.2.p0
lapack-20071123.p0
libfplll-2.1.6-20071129.p4
libgcrypt-1.4.0.p2
libgpg_error-1.6.p0
libpng-1.2.22.p7
linbox-1.1.6rc0.p1
matplotlib-0.91.1.p5
mercurial-1.01.p0
mpfi-1.3.4-cvs20071125.p7
mpfr-2.3.1
networkx-0.36.p1
ntl-5.4.2.p4
numpy-20080104-1.0.4.p5

opencdk-0.6.6

pari-2.3.3.p0
pexpect-2.0.p1
polybori-0.3.1.p4
prereq-0.3
pycrypto-2.0.1.p2
python-2.5.2.p3
python_gnutls-1.1.4.p3
quaddouble-2.2.p9
readline-5.2.p3
sage_scripts-3.1.alpha0
scons-0.97.0d20071212
singular-3-0-4-2-20080611.p2
sqlite-3.5.3.p3
symmetrica-2.0.p2
sympy-0.6.0
termcap-1.3.1.p0
twisted-8.0.1.p1
zlib-1.2.3.p3
zodb3-3.7.0.p1

I've had Mathematica running on Solaris x86 on an Intel chip, but is not
supported, but I managed to hack it by changing some libraries. Depending on
what licenses you have, you might want to try that. If you have a Mathematica
site license, they might give you a password for x86. I did this years ago -
although officially Solaris (SPARC) was not considered a home computer,
therefore our license did not cover it, Wolfram made an exception.

But unless you are already using Mathematica, I would keep clear of a closed
source program like that. Or you end up in the position I'm in, where I've used
MMA a lot, but feel I want to use an open-source one due to financial reasons.

One of my own scientific programs

http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

has not been tested on Solaris x86, but given it runs on Linux, Solaris, HP-UX,
tru64, Unicos, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Irix, Unixware, SCO ... I'd be very surprised
if it did not build on Indiana. It's been run on a Sony Playstation and a Cray
supercomputer in the past!

It would be nice to see a web page listing scientific programs running ok on
Solaris, and what (if any) changes/hacks need to be done to get them running.

I personally think Sage will be the one to have, since that has all the
functionality of its constituent parts, which is one hell of a lot of
functionality.