ciao, I solved.
I am not even sure it was having to do with the update...

Some time ago I had promoted root from a role to a real user as in

root::::type=role;auths=solaris.*,solaris.grant;profiles=All;lock_after_retries=no;min_label=admin_low;clearance=admin_high
cms::::profiles=Primary Administrator;roles=root

rootRole::::type=role;auths=solaris.*,solaris.grant;profiles=All;lock_after_retries=no;min_label=admin_low;clearance=admin_high
cms::::profiles=Primary Administrator;roles=rootRole
root:::profiles=Primary Administrator;roles=rootRole

to allow ssh logins to root.

so I guess this is not the correct method. Can someone tell me what I should
have done?

thanks

tommaso