It turned out the core file is at /var/lib/gdm/core and it's Xorg that's
crashing.

Running /usr/X11/bin/i386/Xorg succeeds, while /usr/X11/bin/amd64/Xorg
and /usr/X11/bin/Xorg dumps core. Also binaries are very small compared
to i386.

I resolved the problem by linking the /usr/X11/bin/i386/Xorg to the
/usr/X11/bin/Xorg.

Is it really just me with  this problem?

Regards,
   Lubos.