On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Robert Milkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>          Generally try to select numbers in such a way for all local
>          zones that all shares add up to 100 - that way your number
>          of shares is your percentage of all CPUs you want to
>          guarantee for that zone.

My approach is a bit different.  Since various servers I support have
different amounts of oomph, I have invented a term called Zone Power
Unit (zpu).  I started out with a particular configuration of a V240
that was popular at the time and declared that it had 10 zpus.  I
figured I would never put more than 10 zones on such a server.  As
time has gone on and there are other more powerful servers, I have
assigned various zpu values for them.  Consider moving a zone that
used half of a V240 to a T2000.  On the V240 it was allocated half of
the server.  On the T2000 it is allocated quite a bit less than half
while being allocated 5 zpus on each.

My zpu values are based upon mvalues, received from Sun under NDA so I
can't share the actual values here.  If I didn't have the mvalues from
Sun, I'd probably go looking for results at spec.org, sap.com, etc. to
understand the relative performance of the various systems.  No matter
what it won't be perfect because we are relying on benchmarks.
However, it does give a good way to understand the approximate
utilization and capacity of various servers on a normalized basis.

As for the initial question - I would agree that allocating a lot of
shares to the global zone (that runs no applications) is a good
safeguard to ensure that you can do administration.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/