Vincent Boisard wrote:

> 2. I want to disable services for two reasons: improving security and
> reducing resource usage.
> I have already disabled, for example, the web management console, to
> avoid running a JVM (I don't use the web console: it currently only
> manages ZFS and CLI tools are just fine). I also want to disable all the
> stuff related to Graphical Desktop (gnome and al.). I have tried to
> install only the packages I wanted (with jumpstart, building up from the
> mreq cluster), but I don't know solaris enough to know what is really
> needed and what can break the system if not present (had a lot of
> trouble with locales for example).

Disabling services you don't need is fine, but I suggest you concentrate
on big pieces like the ones you mentioned (graphical desktop, web
console). Disabling minor miscellaneous services is problematic because
(a) it's harder to be sure you're not using the service in some way, and
(b) the payoff in terms of resource consumption is likely to be small.

> 3. I've checked the default profile, and it seems already to be network
> limited. So I don't think netservices will do anything more for me

Right, that's the default setting. Netservices would be useful to get
back to that state if you had changed it for some reason.

        Scott