Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>> Here are some key terms. The FCS or GA release and the ABI, the SPI and
>>> API.
>>>
>>> I have always been curious what the difference was between FCS and GA. I
>>> think that GA means General Availability and perhaps is the same as FCS.
>>>

>> FCS stands for First Customer Ship[ment] I believe. It predated software
>> distribution via Internet, so I believe it generally referred to when
>> the CD (or DVD) and packaging is available for shipping to customers.
>
> So samething as GA then I guess.

FCS is an older, somewhat imprecise term that has been replaced by
Revenue Release (RR) and General Availability (GA). RR refers to the
first time the OS release is shipped in any form [1], possibly before
media kits or downloadable images are available. GA, as the name
implies, refers to the time when everything is in place to ship in
quantity for all delivery mechanisms, locales, etc. FCS could refer to
either milestone depending upon context, which is why we generally avoid
the term now.

This is probably way more than you wanted to know. :-)

        Scott

[1] Revenue release may seem like a strange term for something that is
free, but it's the point at which we could recognize revenue if we were
charging for it.