On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:12 PM, William Kucharski <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So if there is sufficient interest in a MIPS project, I would be happy to
> get the ball rolling by formally proposing the creation of such a project
> under the Emerging Platforms CG.

I thought we had enough votes as it was:  Martin B., John S., John G., and
Cyril P. all registered +1 votes.   Of course, I don't know if those were
all from the Emerging Platforms CG, so thank you for picking up formal
adoption of this.

> I'd just need to know the charter and who wants to be the project leads.

I had trouble finding a project charter template, so I stole a rare example
from John P. (thanks John!).  Besides myself, nobody else has stepped
forward, so I would certainly welcome volunteers.

===== OpenSolaris on MIPS Project =====

Name
       OpenSolaris on MIPS Architecture

       alias: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Synopsis
       A project to port the OpenSolaris operating system to the MIPS
       architecture and related platforms.

Sponsor
       Emerging Platforms CG

Description

       Charter: To develop a port of OpenSolaris suitable for running
       on MIPS based platforms.  Primary efforts will be focused on
       identifying a development environment and target platforms,
       creating changes to the ON consolidation to support MIPS32
       and possibly MIPS64 builds, and creating recommendations
       for follow on projects to produce a distribution as well as other
       necessary projects.

Related Projects

       OpenSolaris for PowerPC port.

Expected deliverables

       - Provide a cross linking build environment
       - Identify candidate hardware and software emulation
       platform(s) targets.  One goal here is to provide a simple
       development environment that is easy to obtain and
       maintain.
       - Build of portions (or all) of the ON consolidation and
       provide kernel and userland portions to a minimal identified
       run state
       - Investigate and port tools used in the OpenSolaris PowerPC
       port project ("Polaris").