Glenn:

I think your arguments are sound.  It does seem that there should be
an interface for finding out if the user has a preference for IPS to
be used as the packaging system (beyond IPS just being installed on
the system).

It also seems odd that there isn't a standard interface that can be
reliably used to differentiate between a Solaris and OpenSolaris
installation.  Or some other OpenSolaris derivative, for that matter.

Without these sorts of interfaces, programs like codeina can't reliably
know when to provide IPS packages for end-users via a client
application.

Brian