On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM, <casper....@sun.com> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >Is there a way to find processes that makes the most iowait in system?
> >iostat -xtc and iostat commands shows me that the system in iowait
> >state but I need to find out which processes cause that..
> >

> iowait on OpenSolaris?  AFAIK, "I/O wait" was removed from Solaris 10
> before it was released; it's therefor also not in OpenSolaris.
>
> Casper

Hello Casper,

Please educate me:  I missed the "io-wait" values for a long time.  Then I
thought I started to understand the reason why the metric was deemed
invalid:  While one process is blocked, any other process which is not
blocked can use the CPU.  Thus the CPU is just idle, not "waiting on IO".

Conversely, I understand that while there is no specific "IO-wait" status
for the system (or a CPU), a specific Process can still be waiting for IO?

My understanding is that the reason why the metric is deemed meaningless is
because it was reported against system resources (Eg a CPU) in stead of
against a specific process.  So the question is "how do you identify which
processes are blocking on IO" (or page-in, or ...)

Or better:  How do you know how much each process is blocking?

Thanx,
  _Johan

   Arthur C. Clarke

My blog: http://initialprogramload.blogspot.com