On Thu, January 15, 2009 12:57, Jason King wrote:

> As I think has been mentioned before, I seriously doubt if you talk to
> most any UNIX user they are one bit about GNU grep vs Solaris grep vs
> BSD grep (or gnu tar vs solaris tar vs bsd tar vs star).  What they
> care about is 'grep -r works' 'tar -xvzf works' etc.   I think
> focusing on GNU vs Solaris vs Bob's box-o-shell-utilities is just a
> distraction.

You've got a point here.  My fingers do "ps ax" automatically, without
thought, and when that results in an error message it annoys me and breaks
the flow.  Same for "tar tzvf".  But you're quite right that I don't care
what the underlying software is, at any deep level; what I care about is
the interface.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info