Harry Putnam writes:
> (If this question seems to off topic, please feel free to reply
> privately if you have time)

No problem.  I've changed the subject line to match the new topic.

> Fisrt, thanks for the additional tip.
>
> I'm very new here (on osol) and somewhat lost about mentions of
> version I see in the various news groups.  Names like Nevada and
> Indiana also apparently versions.

Not exactly.

"Nevada" is the code name for the next Minor release of Solaris after
Solaris 10.  It was given a code name rather than a number
(essentially) because marketing reserves the right to compute N+1 at a
later time.  ;-}

OpenSolaris (the source code) and Nevada are effectively the same
thing right now.

"Indiana" is the name of a project.  That project is producing
something called the "OpenSolaris distribution," which is based on a
new installer and software packaging system.  A distribution is a
packaged form of the code that you can run on a system.  There are
many distributions using (or based on) OpenSolaris; see the web site
for more information.

Yes, it's a little confusing to have two distinct things both called
"OpenSolaris" -- a source base and a distribution -- but that's how it
is.

There's also the "Solaris Express" distribution, which is the old
installer and uses SysV packaging.  This is slowly being replaced, and
still exists because it's required for those who build from source.

Finally, there are "build numbers."  These are incremented every two
weeks.  Because they're tracked at the source level, most
distributions number their releases based on the build number.

> At a uname -a prompt I see `5.11 snv_101b'.  I wondered if you might
> be able to steer me to documentation that explains how versioning and
> the various names work under Solaris?
>
> You mention 106 and 107.. where do those come from?

If you're using the OpenSolaris distribution (and it sounds like you
are), then you need to switch to the "dev" branch to see the newer
builds -- change your authority to "http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/";.
If you do that, you should be able to upgrade to each of the weekly
builds.

The 101b build was the one released as OpenSolaris 2008.11.  There'll
likely be another such stable release in a few months for those who
aren't on the "dev" train.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carl...@sun.com>