Marion Hakanson wrote:
erva...@gmail.com said:
When the system is largly idle the gnome desktop feels fast and snappy, and
interaction is very immediate. However, when I start a heavy background
process (for instance a maven build of a large Java application), CPU
utilization shoots to 100% on both CPU cores (which is good!), but my whole
desktop becomes sluggish, even mouse movement becomes erratic.

It's not necessarily CPU contention that's making things slow.  My systems
behave this way when RAM is short;  Xorg or window-manager get paged out,
and things get jerky/erratic.

Our original prototype for the IA class back in the early 90s (!) did
influence memory allocation, but this wasn't really tenable in a scheduling class. It did work very well, however.

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/cinci93/full_papers/evans.txt

True control of RAM given to various processes awaits the VM2.0 project,
which is currently underway.  Attempts to correctly schedule memory use
w/ the current VM system have been unsuccessful despite rather valiant
efforts.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
ba...@cyber.eng.sun.com         http://blogs.sun.com/barts