I have installed 2008.11 live CD and it is running fine for the most part
except when I shut down.

I am used to getting a bunch of shutdown messages, the last of which tells me
its OK to power off the system (or something like that).  I think the server
even used to power down automatically.

Since installation 2008.11 I no longer seem to get the correct shutdown
messages and the server does not shut down.

Can anyone tell me what the correct behaviour I should expect to see is when
using the Shutdown menu option from the Gnome desktop ?

Thanks in advance