On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Mike DeMarco <mikej...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just executed a zfs destroy on a filesystem of
>> 2.38 Tbytes, and the process appears to hang.
>> Any other zfs command I subsequently execute also
>> hangs.
>>
>> I'm running openSolaris 2008.11 on a Sun x4500, with
>> 44 drives configured in a Raidz2 16Tbyte filesystem.
>>
>> I had the same thing 2 days ago on another similar
>> system, and finished up rebooting.
>>
>> zpool iostat shows 0 writes/sec and not much
>> reading.
>>
>> Ah! as I write, the command has completed, but it
>> took over half an hour and I was unable use any zfs
>> commands.
>>
>> Any hints/ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>
> I have noticed the same thing with my very large filesystems. the destroy
> command seems to block all other zfs activity until it is complete.
> --

I can confirm this behavior, I have several X4540's, 48x 1TB disks,
running 2008.11 snv_106
Destroying large filesystems, or filesystems with a lot of snapshots
will take an exceedingly long time.
During the destroy, I see only about 1MB/sec of I/O (reads and writes).

Luckily, I don't destroy very often.

--
Brent Jones
br...@servuhome.net