> I was told that there is another potential obstacle
> when trying to dream about mass spreading OpenSolaris
> in China:  We do not have the library for the QQ IM
> protocol. (Thanks a whole lot for this private mail.)
> With over 400 million "registered" (emphasis
> intended) accounts, QQ is the most popular IM
> protocol in China, although it is essentially a
>  total unknown out side of China.
>
> Fortunately, Yong Sun has ported the FeTion (飞信)
> library ( libfetion.so ) to OpenSolaris.  This is the
> second most popular IM protocol in China, with about
> 250 million users.  What's particularly significant
> about the FeTion IM protocol is that it is the IM
> used by the mighty China Mobile (and you need a China
> Mobile subscriber account to open a corresponding
> FeTion IM user account).
>
> China Mobile has about half a billion paid
> subscribers (457 million to be exact).  It will be
> great if we can persuade QQ to port their library to
> OpenSolaris.  However, most of us will be pretty
> pleased if we can reach China Mobile's customers.
>
> I am sure China Mobile welcomes any help that can
> further expand their customer base.  Likewise, we
> also "should" welcome any help we can get to expand
> our user base (especially when we don't have to do
> anything extra, and that the potential reward can be
> far beyond anyone's wildest contemplation).
>
> Thus, perhaps some kind of "virtual partnership" can
> be pursued along this line.  Interestingly, ALL we
> need to do is to squeeze in the libfetion.so file
> (~90K) into the /usr/lib/purple-2/ folder.  China
> Mobile will be very pleasantly surprised to see
> FeTion as one of the selections in the Pidgin IM
> list--after we send them the next release of the
> OpenSolaris LiveCD/USB.  It should also help that
> China Mobile is already one of Java's biggest
> customers.
>
> But the cruel reality is, without QQ or FeTion, it is
> practically out of any question to expect OpenSolaris
> to penetrate into China's campuses.
>
> (I will try to file this as an RFE-type bug report.)

Submitted as Bug 7767.

This comment was urged by a friend of mine who is a professor at the Shanghai
Jiao Tong University.  Similar observation was made by Sun ERI's own Wei
(William) Xue, who reported that, when he gave a talk at the Beiyou University
in Beijing, many students asked whether OpenSolaris can include the FeTion
protocol:

http://blogs.sun.com/weixue/entry/installfest_for_colleges_beiyou_beijing

If, forchristsake, we should get hooked up with China Mobile's 457 million
subscribers, who is to give a &(^% about IBM?  (Sorry for getting carried away.)