> Does anyone believe that Oracle's acquisition of Sun is a good thing?
> I have many friends at the valley who say that Oracle acquires
> companies and runs them into the ground.  Obviously there is a great
> strategic use of Solaris to compete against IBM.  Has Oracle been a
> good contributor to any open source projects?
>
> A related question is what happens to MySQL?  Do they keep it as their
> low end product or get rid of it?

I'm thrilled about the oracle / sun acquisition.  Here are the reasons why:

Oracle had been spending money to develop BTRFS.  Now that they have ZFS,
there's no further need for BTRFS.  If they want something GPL, they can
work to convert the ZFS license instead.

Oracle's favorite hardware is sun.  Now there is no middleman, and they can
get their sun hardware at cost.  So it's unlikely they'll end the hardware
line.

Oracle's favorite OS is solaris (although they want to be attractive to
linux as well).  So they're unlikely to end solaris.

MySQL is one of the most profitable segments of sun.  Yes it competes
against oracle databases, but it's not within realistic limitations to force
mysql deployments to "upgrade" to oracle.  So I don't think they'll change a
thing.  They'll let MySQL continue to pull in the money, and sit back saying
"Now we're the undisputed largest most powerful database company in the
world."

Obviously java is here to stay.

Long story short, I don't see oracle killing off any of sun products, except
maybe some of the lesser known more obscure things ... Glassfish?
Virtualbox?

Not sure about openoffice...