Anon Y Mous wrote:
> trickii
>> This may sound common sense but the average user may not understand everyday
>> technical speak...one example of accepted language is 'Apps store' instead
>> of 'repository'...
>> Do we need to rename this to 'Apps store' instead of 'repository' in the
>> next release?
>
> You're talking a load of codswallop, mate. In every other UNIX-like operating
> system that has a similar feature for installing remote packages, it's always
> called a 'repository' and not an 'apps store' because the packages are
> provided free of charge vs. a store where the packages would have to be
> purchased (examples: Debian and Ubuntu have apt repositories and Red Hat and
> Fedora have yum repositories, Apple has an "apps store" for the iphone
> because they don't provide the software for free). The only exceptions to
> this that I can think of are the *BSD operating systems, which have a "ports
> tree", but that works a little bit different from how a package repository
> works, so it makes sense that it should have a different name.

"App Store" actually is an excellent counter example because of this -
"repository" was the far more established term, but Apple chose App Store,
and the users figured it out.   I wouldn't be surprised to see an IPS "App
Store" in the future, as a repository from which you can purchase non-free
software, but as a special case repository, not a catchall term for all
repositories.

Though, that may even need a different name since "App Store" is listed on
http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/appletmlist.html so may not be usable
by anyone but Apple.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com