I figured it out.  By default, vmware autodetected "solaris 10" when it
looked at the installation media, but it should have been "solaris 10 x64" .
So I reinstalled vmware tools, and that seems to have fixed it.

From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned
Harvey
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:39 AM
To: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [osol-discuss] trouble adding a disk

I have solaris inside of vmware.  I shutdown solaris, added a new IDE disk
to it, powered on, went into BIOS just to be sure it was showing, and then
booted the OS.

When I run "format" it only shows me one available disk:  0. c0d0

Is there something I'm supposed to do before format?

I tried looking through syslog and dmesg, but I don't see anything there
about any new disk.  It seems the OS isn't detecting it.  I tried everything
I can think of, to ensure VMWare has added the disk to the system.  I'm
hoping there's just some simple command I need to do in solaris that I don't
already know about.

Thanks, ttyl.