Martin Bochnig wrote:
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Shawn Walker <swal...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
Martin Bochnig wrote:
#4.)   pfexec pkg set-publisher -P -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev dev

#5.)   pfexec pkg unset-publisher opensolaris.org

#6.)   pfexec pkg refresh

#7.)   pfexec pkg install entire

#8.)   pfexec pkg install redistributable
The steps above are not correct. Here's why:

A new publisher should not be added, instead the existing publisher's
repository should be changed.  The pkg refresh isn't necessary as install
will automatically refresh if needed. The install entire isn't necessary as
that is already installed.

These are the correct steps:

pfexec pkg set-publisher -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev opensolaris.org

Technically it doesn't matter how you call it (last field).
It is just a name.

Not quite. There are subtle behaviours in the system when you do it the way you listed.

I _wanted_ to chose a different authority-/publisher- name, because as
of now OS2009.06 is still only available as an unsupported *Preview*.
And the authority which - as of now - officially carries the name
"opensolaris.org" is still for 2008.11 .
Therefore I randomly chose the name "dev" (because its mnemonic, as
the branch itself is called "dev") which makes it necessary the
explicitly run ...

Nevertheless, you shouldn't do that. If you want the packages from the /dev repository, you should be switching the opensolaris.org publisher to use the /dev repository:

pfexec pkg set-publisher -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev opensolaris.org

If you want to reset the publisher afterwards, you would do this:

pfexec pkg set-publisher -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release opensolaris.org

But that's pointless until the official release is pushed to /release.

Well, it does not harm if you (re-) install "entire" before that.
Probably it is redundant. But from your nice "official" instructions at least

pfexec pkg refresh

would be missing, which is run automatically as part of the

pfexec pkg install entire

which I suggested. What you get byy strictly following the official
instructions would be an early end:

The correct way to handle that is to do this after changing the publisher:

pfexec pkg image-update

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker